How to make a tasty dish without much effort and preparation. This easy herbed potato tray bake is what I make often because my child is a very fussy eater. If you are looking for a tasty and easy recipe for fussy kids then this should work.
Some time back I shared our Summer garden success in a previous post. We had a reasonably good harvest of potatoes despite a cold summer. In our fall harvest we could harvest a few sweet potatoes, so it was ideal to combine both these to make this tasty potato tray bake. Our cellar is not very ideal for long term storage of perishables as a result the potatoes will not last through the winter. I have been using them up in a variety of recipes like Rosti, salads and using the softer ones in Soups just to use them up.
HEALTHY & EASY RECIPE FOR KIDS
The reason I do make this recipe is because my daughter loves to eat French Fries. Since French fries are deep fried and high in fat, definitely not an ideal choice for a healthy diet. I had to find a healthier option and adapted to this recipe. Luckily, she likes this tray bake and we do tend to make it more often after our harvest.
The best way to bake these potatoes with little fat would be to use a heavy glass dish which can withstand high heat. I have a Pyrex dish which has served me well for the past 12 years. Use the Charlotte variety of potatoes for this tray bake. Because a sturdier variety will hold the shape and not collapse after baking.
INGREDIENTS FOR HERBED POTATO TRAY BAKE
- Potatoes Charlotte variety – 1 Kg
- Coconut Oil or Butter – 4 – 5 Tablespoons
- Dried Rosemary -1 to 2 teaspoons
- Thyme – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chilly powder – 1 – 2 teaspoon ( as per your taste)
- Paprika powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic powder – 1 -2 teaspoons
- Onion powder- 2 teaspoons
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Juice of half a lemon (Optional)
- Preheat you oven to 200 degrees top and bottom heat. If you want to use hot air, then heat the oven to 180 degree centigrade.
- Chop all the potatoes into cubes.
- In a large bowl, add all the herbs, spices, oil and salt.
- Mix them well so that all that potatoes are coated well.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes till they are baked crisp on the outside and soft inside.
- Serve with tomato ketchup or some kind of dip otherwise it will be too dry.
SERVING OPTIONS FOR HERBED POTATO TRAY BAKE
I usually serve this tray bake with a vegetable soup for lunch or dinner. In case you want to serve as a side dish, serve with Ketchup or a dip.
Can you make this Vegan ?
You can make this recipe with butter. It does taste delicious too. Since my daughter is intolerant to diary, I choose to make this vegan. Moreover, coconut oil is tasty as well as healthy. Moreover coconut oil can withstand high heat thereby making it an ideal oil for baking or stir fry.