Serve these delicious and flavor packed pickled green tomato salad as a side dish or as a topping for your breads. The best recipe to use all those unripe tomatoes which do not get ripe by autumn.
Recently, one of my friend was watching one of my gardening videos and heard me complaining about the unripe tomatoes. So, she sent me a recipe for using those unripe tomatoes in our garden.
I am glad that she did at the right time. We immediately harvested the green tomatoes and I made this delicious pickled green tomato salad. This salad has become our new favorite, therefore this recipe needs to be on my blog.
GREEN TOMATO SALAD A PERFECT SIDE DISH
Since not much is growing during the winter months, therefore pickling is an option. This salad is a perfect side dish to any meal and it comes out of a pickle jar. Pickling was the only option for families to sustain on during the colder months. If you wanted to eat a healthy and vitamin rich food in the days before refrigeration and globalization, this was the way to go. Moreover, pickles are shelf stable up to a year if done properly.
Families pickled their excess of summer produce using different methods to support them during the winter months. Since, we are gardening we want to be self sufficient in the future. We are a long way from it, but hopefully we get there. Meanwhile, I don’t want to waste anything that is already growing and that includes green unripe tomatoes too. So lets dive into this recipe.
TOOLS YOU WILL NEED
Wooden Chopping board
HOW TO MAKE PICKLED TOMATO SALAD
INGREDIENTS YOU WILL NEED
- 1 kg green unripe tomatoes
- 1 bell pepper (red paprika variety )
- 2 hot fresh red chilies
- 2 medium onions
- a few garlic pods
- 1.5 tablespoons of salt
- 2 Tablespoons of sugar
- 50 ml vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of mustard powder
- a bunch of parsley leaves (optional )
Scroll down for a printable recipe card
INSTRUCTIONS TO MAKE GREEN TOMATO PICKLED SALAD
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them into halves or into quarters.
- Chop the onions and add to the sliced green tomatoes.
- Add the sugar and salt into the cut vegetables into a big bowl.
- Blend the garlic, red peppers and the parsley leaves and mix into the vegetables.
- Stir and let it sit for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, because of the salt in the vegetables, they will sweat and you will have enough juice.
- Spoon the vegetables and the liquid into sterilized and dry glass jars. Make sure you distribute them well.
- In case, you are adding some spices like mustard powder, or any other spice add it now.
- Add the vinegar. Roughly about 25 to 30 ml into each jar and close them tightly.
- Place a thick kitchen towel and place the filled jars into the pot.
- Pour water into the pot and boil for 30 min from when it starts to boil.
- Turn off the heat and leave the jars a further 15 min. in the hot water.
- Place the jars upside down overnight on a wooden board or tea towel.
- Enjoy after 2 weeks, because by then the vegetables are nicely marinated.
This pickled green tomato salads taste great on a Sourdough Bread toast. You can serve this yummy salad with Raclette, Rosti and basically anything. Due to the sweet and sour taste, this marries well with most dishes.
Since, its so tasty, we are eating it almost like a snack right now.
HOW LONG CAN YOU STORE THE PICKLED SALAD ?
As a result of cooking and canning the salad will easily last a year in your pantry.
I usually store all my canned food in the cellar which is the coolest room of our house. Once you open the jar, store them refrigeration and consume quickly.
PIN IT FOR LATER
Your feedback is valuable
Thank you so much for visiting Swiss Home Garden – we’re so happy you’re here! and thanks for taking the time to read this post. I would love it if you can share this recipe using the social media buttons you see next to the post and give this recipe a 5 Star rating.