This spicy corn bread recipe needs just 5 ingredients and a few spices and is very easy to prepare. Serve this spicy corn bread with soups, as a side or even for breakfast with dips and butter. Its light and tasty on your palate and makes a great accompaniment to a soup, salad or even a vegetable dish for a light meal.
I have been making this spicy corn bread recipe since about 2 decades. The only time I bake this gluten free bread is whenever I make butter from raw milk. Rather than wasting the buttermilk that I have extracted from the raw milk, I prefer to use it for this recipe. Due to all the goodness of a light healthy fat present in the buttermilk, you will not need much oil for the recipe. All the ingredients for this spicy corn bread is easily found in your pantry with the only exception being buttermilk. If you don’t have access to homemade buttermilk, you can easily use a store bought one.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a small commission if you click through and make a purchase. Learn more
Tips for making spicy corn bread
- This recipe is fool proof, therefore you can easily substitute the flour with a gluten free option. I usually use Spelt flour due to the low gluten content found in spelt. Moreover, the gluten in spelt is easy to digest as opposed to wheat gluten.
- Buttermilk can be substituted with yogurt mixed with a little water.
- If you want you can also add vegan cheese, but I prefer the real one. Cheddar cheese fits well. I generally use Gruyere, Emmenthaler cheese because these are local to Switzerland.
- Almost all hard cheeses are supposed to be lactose free, therefore you can use them even if you are lactose intolerant.
How long does this bread last ?
The bread can easily last for a couple of days if you store them well. I usually store the bread on the kitchen counter itself. You don’t need to refrigerate, because refrigerating will cause bread to dry up.
Tools you may need
Pie Dish around 23 cms or 9 inch in diameter or a loaf pan.
Spicy Corn Bread Recipe from Scratch Instructions :
Ingredients you will need for Spicy Corn Bread
1 cup of polenta
1/2 cup of plain flour
1 tablespoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika ( Hungarian or Spanish )
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper
1 -2 tablespoons of fresh green chilies cut finely
1/4 teaspoon each of thyme, oregano and chive leaves
1 cup of buttermilk
3 tablespoons of oil ( I usually use olive oil )
3/4 cup of shredded cheese like Cheddar or Gruyere
- Pre-heat the oven to 220 deg centigrade.
- Combine all the dry ingredients with all the spices in a large bowl. Stir to mix well with a wooden spoon.
3. Mix all the wet ingredients into another bowl – namely buttermilk and oil.
4. Combine all the dry and moist ingredients together so that it forms a thick batter.
5. Add the shredded cheese and mix well.
6. Spoon the mixture into a well oiled pie dish or loaf tin.
7. Finally, bake in a pre-heated oven and bake for about 20 minutes or until the top turns golden brown.
8. Slice and serve warm with fresh salad or soup. Because, I like it a little more tasty, I spread extra butter or a bread spread before eating.
Your feedback is valuable
Did you like Spicy Corn Bread Recipe? Leave me a comment, I’d really love to know!
Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!
Thank you so much for visiting Swiss Home Garden – we’re so happy you’re here! and thanks for taking the time to read this post. I would love it if you can share this recipe using the social media buttons you see next to the post and give this recipe a 5 Star rating.
PIN IT FOR LATER